Happy 44th Birthday to Jay Z!
- Jay was born Sean Carter in Brooklyn, New York on December 4th, 1969.
- Jay took his name from the J and Z lines of the New York City subway system.
- Jay Z, Damon Dash and Kareem "Biggs" Burke formed Roc-a-Fella Records and released Jay's 1996 album Reasonable Doubt, which included the hit "Can't Knock the Hustle."
- Jay has a total of 15 studio albums.
- With the release of The Black Album in 1994, Jay announced he was retiring from the rap game. Following his retirement, he was named President and CEO of Def Jam Records. His proteges include Young Jeezy, Rihanna and Teairra Marie.
- Jay Z's Roc-a-Wear is one of the clothing industry's most successful brands.
- In January 2004, he became part owner of the New Jersey Nets -- who now play in his native Brooklyn. He gave up his small ownership stake when he became a sports agent in 2012.
- His other ventures include co-ownership of the 40/40 Club in New York.
- Jay married Beyoncé on April 4th, 2008. Their daughter, Blue Ivy Carter, was born in January 2012.