Old-school rapper Doug E. Fresh turns 47 years old today (Tuesday).
- Doug E. Fresh was born Douglas E. Davis on September 17, 1966.
- Known as the Human Beat Box, Doug was able to imitate drum machines and various special effects using only his mouth, lips, gums and throat.
- Mr. Fresh got his break as part of the Get Fresh Crew with Barry Bee, along withChill Will and newcomer MC Ricky D (who would later become known as Slick Rick). They turned out two hit songs -- "The Show, which borrowed the melody of the Inspector Gadget theme, and "La Di Da Di," with rhymes by MC Ricky D backed by Doug E's beatboxing for the entire song.
- Doug put out four albums between 1986 and 1995. The 1992 album Doin' What I Gotta Do was on MC Hammer's label, Bust It Records, but it went nowhere.
- In 2010, Cali Swag District brought back some of Doug's trademark dance moves with their song "Teach Me How to Dougie."